Judge Not

Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again (Matthew 7:1-2).

Talk about a text that will bless you. That is, if you stop thinking about who it applies to other than yourself.

This text often comes to mind when one is in a defensive posture. When one feels that they are being judged, he or she is quick to pull out this “Word” from Jesus. We are quick to say, “Don’t judge me!”

But I am listening to Jesus speak TO me and not assuming that as I read it He is always speaking in defense OF me.

I don’t know the circumstances that shaped the people who often offend me. Some didn’t have the benefit of being raised by two reasonable Christian parents. Some had hard scrabbled upbringings on the rough streets of the City. Some have been wounded by people and didn’t know how to heal, nor had the resources or mentors to point them in a redemptive path.

So they come at me. And I hear Jesus say to me, “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” It’s as if He is saying, you don’t know their story. And the folk you hang with enjoyed many of the same blessings that came your way. So, of course, they’re going to agree with you. You have the same worldview.

Jesus is challenging me to move from judging people who act foolishly to loving, yes, even my enemies.

He did it for me. John 3:17 says, “For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.” May God give me His amazing grace to show that kind of love to others as well.

Comments

Wow! Very thought provoking.
Lord, help!

Popular Posts