Black-eyed Peas

Black-eyed Peas

So tonight I made black-eyed peas and rice with mixed vegetables and cornbread for dinner.

My black-eyed peas were a happy accident. I tried a couple of ingredients that I don't normally use. Those black-eyes peas came out tasting so good that I understood why Easu sold his birthright! I figured I'd better write it down so I can try to make a similar pot again sometime in the future.

A bag of dry black-eyed peas
A package of the Lipton onion-mushroom soup
A can of coconut milk
A can of fire roasted diced tomatoes
2 1/4 cups of water
A bay leaf
1 Tablespoon of butter
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
2 Tablespoons of McKay's Chicken style broth (No MSG)
Kosher Salt
Black Pepper
Goya Adobo All Purpose Seasoning
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
1 Table spoon of Imitation Bac'n Pieces

I parboiled the black-eyed peas, meaning, I boiled them, turned them off and let them set covered for an hour. Then I poured that water off and rinsed them again. (This reduces whatever it is in beans that gives one who consumes them gas.)

I returned the rinsed beans back into the pot and added the rest of the ingredients and let 'em cook.

I made some jasmine rice (1 1/2 cups of jasmine rice in 2 2/3 cups of water seasoned with a teaspoon of kosher salt and 1 Tablespoon of olive oil brought to boil and then reduced and simmered for 15 minutes), mixed veggies and homemade cornbread.

We dined sufficiently.


Comments

kountzer said…
Have to try that recipe. That looks good.
Looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe. I think it's the coconut milk to be honest. It makes everything taste good.

Popular Posts