Stop Beatin' Folk Over the Head with It!!!

Some good advice here. I was speaking with a good Baptist friend of mine today. He's sick -- suffering with multiple health issues. We ran into each other at WaWa and he had a cup of coffee in his hand -- with cream and lots of sugar! (Did I mention that he has diabetes?) I teased him a bit, but I wasn't going to beat up on him. If I did that, he may cut me off. As we parted company, he told me that he loved me. I told him the same. And he invited me to breakfast on his dime because he really wants me to come. Not only that, he wants me to come preach for him. Ah! Now, the door remains open, not for me to beat up on him, but to show him some alternatives. If I beat up on him, it is likely that by doing so I would shut the door of opportunity to influence him for good in the future. How much good does that do?
It is of little use to try to reform others by attacking what we may regard as wrong habits. Such effort often results in more harm than good. Ministry of Healing, p. 156

Comments

Popular Posts