Start a Church

 Now, let me begin by offering this disclaimer: I do NOT think that anybody ought to just start a church. I am a firm believer that one should be “called” to the work of pastoral ministry. 


Having said that, there’s something that keeps pastors who begin in a particular denomination tethered to it. I think it’s more psychological and, perhaps, nostalgia that keeps them from spreading their wings. 


I did the math. One only needs 200 members that earn on average $50K/year giving 5% of their income in order to have an operating budget of $500,000. 


I serve in a denomination where we encourage our members to return tithes and offerings. A tithe is 10%, which means a church like that one only need 100 members who earn $50k/year in order to have a $500,000.


I certainly don’t make $500,000 a year! And I serve more than 200 members! Here the thing. That kind of income could free a pastor from a denominational structure and allow her or him to have a good salary with medical benefits and still reinvest into the church and do some pretty powerful outreach.


Just some thoughts running through my mind.

Comments

Popular Posts