Jeremiah 30: Essential Discipline from a Loving Father

". . . My child, don't ignore it when the Lord disciplines you, and don't be discouraged when he corrects you. For the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes those he accepts as his children" (Hebrews 12:5-6, NLT).

v. 3 - For the time is coming when I will restore the fortunes of my people of Israel and Judah.

v. 10 - So do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant; do not be dismayed, Israel, says the Lord. For I will bring you home again from distant lands, and your children will return from their exile. Israel will return and will have peace and quiet in their own land, and no one will make them afraid. For I am with you and will save you, says the Lord. I will completely destroy the nations where I have scattered you. But I must discipline you; I cannot let you go unpunished.


There's a whole lot of theology packed into Jeremiah 30:10. First of all, God has not written off His people. He still refers to Jacob as His servant. And He has not given up Jacob's room at "home." God says in essence, "I had to send you to boot camp 'cause you were cuttin' up." The end of the verse says, "I must discipline you; I cannot let you go unpunished." But you're still mine. And my home is still your home.

Second thing of note is that God admits He scattered His children. He did not throw a rock and hide His hand. He says, "I scattered you."

Thirdly, He lets us know that just because He uses someone doesn't mean they are in His favor. God is sovereign. He can use whomever He chooses. He says clearly that He is going to "completely destroy the nations" where He scattered them. They are wrong. They won't acknowledge that they are wrong. And must be destroyed.

v. 14 - . . . I have wounded you cruelly, as though I were your enemy.

vv. 15-17 - . . . I have had to punish you because your sins are many and your guilt is great. But in that coming day, all who destroyed you will be destroyed, and all your enemies will be sent into exile. Those who plunder you will be plundered, and those who attack you will be attacked. I will give you back your health and heal your wounds, says the Lord.

v. 19 - There will be joy and songs of thanksgiving.

Comments

Popular Posts